Fonts too big -- Win7 -- MC-TVC 2.1.0

Discuss individual versions of MC-TVConverter (bugs,...)

Fonts too big -- Win7 -- MC-TVC 2.1.0

Postby JMThomas » 18. Nov 2014, 02:57

I've installed 2.1.0 (downloaded from http://mctvconverter.vivolum.net/site/article_list.siteswift?so=all&do=all&c=download&d=article%3A14%3A11) on Win 7, all fixes from m$ applied. Aero-glass is off. Windows has not explicitly been ask to do any font scaling via driver or control panel options.

The font size used to display most messages is slightly too big for the space allotted. Multi-line messages are missing part of the bottom line.

I suspect this is related to Aero NOT getting involved, and letter spacing being calculated in an XP compatible manner.
JMThomas

Re: Fonts too big -- Win7 -- MC-TVC 2.1.0

Postby hudl » 20. Nov 2014, 00:05

Hi and welcome!

Please check your dpi settings - it looks like you have set 125% size.
Haven't seen this before and it also works for me when disabling Aero. Other than that, I fear there is nothing I can do about it because I think this is a local problem... Sorry.
Creator of MC-TVConverter
hudl
Forum Admin

Postby JMThomas » 20. Nov 2014, 12:55

Lets keep the font size discussion over here, as opposed to the thread with start/stop time trimming.

If you use Visual Studio Form design, are you using "AutoScaleMode = AutoScaleMode.Font " instead of "AutoScaleMode = AutoScaleMode.dpi"?

There is a lot of discussion about how things look great in XP and default Win7, but break with font scaling is forced to 120% or 125% by a "custom" theme. Note that "custom theme" includes the one shipped with Win7 that turns off Aero and sets thing to look a lot like XP did...

The bottom line is to NOT lay individual text fields out by using auto-scaling DPI, but let auto-scale font resize the entire control (not just a field) so that the current font size will fit.

There's some code and discussion over at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2973165/autoscalemode-problems-with-changed-default-font.
JMThomas

Postby hudl » 23. Nov 2014, 16:38

So, did you change dpi settings? It doesn't resize my font when turning off Aero.

Anyhow - I don't use Visual Studio. I just use AutoIt for the GUI. But maybe I can find a way to fix this issue.
Just please don't suspect it to be any time soon. I first want to get a new (basic?) version out for which I'm struggling to get some free time to code... ;)
Creator of MC-TVConverter
hudl
Forum Admin

Return to "MC-TVConverter (english discussion)"