conversion to MKV fails

Discuss individual versions of MC-TVConverter (bugs,...)

conversion to MKV fails

Postby mraskin » 1. Feb 2015, 14:37

Hi,

I am back to using MC-TV Converter. The problem is that I've lost my previous settings so I do not remember what I us to use as outfiles format and which were working OK, as far as I can remember. At that time I was using v2.0.0 but I have mode no to 2.1.0

Anyway, my goal is to play on my DVICO-6500 box the TV recorded with Media Center.
I do not want to loose quality (or very little) for HD programs, and I do not wish MC-TV Converter to run for several hours for a 2h program.

I have made some trials and the fastest seems to be the demux but then I get two files (expected) I could not see yet how I can cobine them to get a format my DVICO can read.
Next fastest one seems convertion to .ts but the output file is huge ... So even if I have invested few TB recently I'd like to keep efficient on file size.

So my choice was to go to .mkv, at it looked reasonable on runtime and file size increase.
It worked like a charm on a small test program, but when I converted the real one I got an error :cry: :cry: :

frame= 7687 fps= 28 q=0.0 size= 391224kB time=00:05:10.62 bitrate=10317.5kbits/s
Only SUBTITLE_ASS type supported.
Subtitle encoding failed
01/02/2015, 12:34:35: ---- file successfully converted: "\\DISKSTATION\video\TV\The Voice_TF1 HD_2015_01_24_20_53_00.wtv.mkv"
01/02/2015, 12:34:35: rename file to: "\\DISKSTATION\video\TV\The Voice_TF1 HD_2015_01_24_20_53_00.mkv"
01/02/2015, 12:34:35: renameFile - old filename: "\\DISKSTATION\video\TV\The Voice_TF1 HD_2015_01_24_20_53_00.wtv.mkv"
01/02/2015, 12:34:35: renameFile - new filename: "\\DISKSTATION\video\TV\The Voice_TF1 HD_2015_01_24_20_53_00.mkv"
01/02/2015, 12:34:35: get orig file created date: 20150124205303
01/02/2015, 12:34:35: set converted file created date to: 20150124205303 - "\\DISKSTATION\video\TV\The Voice_TF1 HD_2015_01_24_20_53_00.mkv"
01/02/2015, 12:34:35:
01/02/2015, 12:34:35: -------- conversion finished

So, how do you think I could fix this ?
Also, do you plan to report an error rather than a succesful conversion in such case ?

Actually a simpler question might be :
Which format should I use to convert wtv to HD format, with no loss, smallest file size increase and fastest conversion ?

thanks !
Michel.
mraskin

Re: conversion to MKV fails

Postby hudl » 1. Feb 2015, 23:31

Hi!
Nice to have you back :P

Let's see if we can get it sorted for you.
First, you can try to add the parameter "-sn" to the commandline to ignore subtitles. Conversion should work then.

For the other part - well, it is not possible to have a "really fast and lossless" conversion and a small file size. If you want it fast, you have to deal with a larger filesize. That said, there are conversion profiles, that are "fast" but have some loss in quality. I personally use m2ts as target type for the files I want to keep. I use the following custom profile which converts in about realtime (with my old dual core E8600 CPU) and the filesize is unbelievable small compared to its output quality:
Code: Select all
[Custom M2TS HD/ac3 (*.m2ts) (input: wtv,dvr-ms,mpg,ts,avi,mp4,wmv,mkv,vob)]
targettype=custom
outputExtension=m2ts
inputExtensions=wtv|dvr-ms|mpg|mpeg|ts|m2ts|avi|mp4|wmv|mkv|vob
executablePath=ffmpeg
executable=ffmpeg.exe
command=-i <@inputfile@> -y -vcodec libx264 -preset veryfast -crf 16 -maxrate 5000k -bufsize 1835k -filter:v yadif -acodec ac3 -ab 448k <@outputfile@>

I get BluRay sized files with about 30GB down to 5GB without any noticeable subjective loss in quality. Of course there is some kind of loss in quality but I really don't mind it. You could also change m2ts to mkv if you prefer this format but m2ts is more compatible with players as it is the BluRay format.

If you convert wtv to ts with mctvc, it won't transcode the stream, just copy it to the new format. This is as fast as your drive can copy files, but it won't reduce the filesize. If you want to convert further to mkv, you can setup a plain copy profile which also just copies the file without transcoding it:

Code: Select all
command=-i <@inputfile@> -y -vcodec copy -acodec copy <@outputfile@>

But this is a 2step conversion. Let me know if this fits your needs or you have further questions.
Cheers!
Creator of MC-TVConverter
hudl
Forum Admin

Postby mraskin » 1. Feb 2015, 23:53

Thank Hudl, you're just great !

now ... I have looked at the GUI but could not figure out how to add a custom profile ... OK, I might read the doc :) ... yes, it's there !

Actually I wanted to try m2ts but did not know how.
Thanks to you, I now know ...
Let me try this and get back to you.

Michel.
mraskin

Postby mraskin » 2. Feb 2015, 00:16

Hudl,

I am not lucky :( ; I have changed the profile.ini in the root application installation directory and I cannot see the changes ...
What I am missing here ?
I have read the doc several times and did not see anything else to do but changing the profile.ini file content ..

thanks,
Michel.
mraskin

Postby mraskin » 2. Feb 2015, 01:09

Hi,

I had never seen this . This is Windows stuff :!:

The file I was modifying was not the one MC-TV converter was reading, even though it had the same name !!! How can this be possible :?: :?: :?:

To workaround this, I had to start my editor as an administrator. Doing this, opening the profile.ini I could see the original content. Then I modified and this was taken into account by the program. :)

In other words, being admin or not, opening profile.ini was opening two different files (although in the same directory, unbelievable :roll: )

So, I have tried on a small file and conversion to m2ts worked very well.

I am now going to try with the big file. Should take about 3h to convert ...

Michel.
mraskin

Postby hudl » 3. Feb 2015, 00:36

I'm glad you figured it out!
Actually there are not 2 versions of one file but the files in programs folder are all write protected. That's why you have to open it as administrator to be able to save it. Or you move it for example to desktop, edit it and move it back. No mystery included... ;)

I hope the profile will satisfy you!
Creator of MC-TVConverter
hudl
Forum Admin

Return to "MC-TVConverter (english discussion)"