moving the converted file to another folder

Discuss individual versions of MC-TVConverter (bugs,...)

moving the converted file to another folder

Postby totally_awesome » 14. Jan 2014, 02:55

Hello,

I am using the watch folder capabilities to automatically convert files when they are recorded. I am also using one of the options to move the source file to another folder when the conversion is complete. Is there a way to move the converted file to another folder when the conversion is complete?
I would like to move the converted file to another folder when the conversion is complete. Are there any config files/etc that I could modify to get this done?
I spent some time looking at the profile.ini file in the install root. Not quite sure where to add something to always move the output file to another folder when the conversion is done.
totally_awesome

Re: moving the converted file to another folder

Postby hudl » 14. Jan 2014, 09:00

Hi!

Yes, it is possible to move the converted file to another folder. However, it is only possible to move it to a subfolder of your output directory.
You can use the file renaming option to achieve this. If you want to keep the original filename, you can use the following syntax for example:

Code: Select all
this_is_my_subfolder/{on}

Please see the help file for more options and some tipps.
Creator of MC-TVConverter
hudl
Forum Admin

Postby totally_awesome » 15. Jan 2014, 03:37

Hello,

Thanks for getting back to me. I am disappointed that I cannot do what I hoping hoping for. The reason for my request is to move the converted files to "Google Drive" when the conversion is complete. Doing this would allow me to download the mp4 files when I was on vacation or traveling for work.
So I will have to think of another way to do what I want. I may have to write a powershell script to move a "unlocked" mp4 file to google drive. I am assuming that a "unlocked" mp4 file is the way to indicate that the conversion is complete. I could also move the original file to another folder and look for a "name.mp4" file without a "name.wtv" file and assume that the conversion is complete.
Perhaps the next release of the converter would allow the user to move the converted file to another folder so that users of "Google Drive" or "Dropbox" would be able to access the mp4 files when they are not at home.
totally_awesome

Postby hudl » 16. Jan 2014, 01:29

Yes, for the coming version I already implemented it that way - you will be able to specify a full path in file renaming.

However, if you setup GDrive/Dropbox this way, that only selected folders are automatically uploading files, you could convert the files to a parent folder and move the final file to the subfolder that automatically uploads it.
Or you could output the converted file directly to your desired folder if you don't worry about the possible intermediate files that are uploaded and deleted during conversion which uses bandwidth of course.
hudl
Forum Admin

Postby totally_awesome » 16. Jan 2014, 02:37

Hello,

Thanks for letting me know that the next version will have what I am looking for. If you need a beta tester, please let me know, I will be glad to try it out. I am really looking forward to having the ability to move the converted file to another location when the conversion is complete. I am assuming that it will work very similiar option of moving the original file to another location after the conversion is complete. Google drive will go bonkers if you are constantly changing a file that Google drive is trying to sync with the rest of the world. Google Drive appears to to be designed to sync files that are not being changed while the sync operation is going on.
I want to configure your converter with the various watch options and let in run while I am on vacation or traveling for work. This way I can get the programs I am interested in anywhere I am at, provided I can get to Google Drive.

P.S. When do you think the next version will be released?
totally_awesome

Postby hudl » 17. Jan 2014, 01:00

Moving files will be done within in the renaming tab (like I already gave you the example above). It will be identical to the current feature except you will be able to define a full path including the drive letter. So it will be fast if you move the file on the same drive, but will be slow on different drives because it will have to copy/delete the file of course.

Thanks for willing to beta test the new version! I don't have any eta because it depends on the possible problems I will face and unfortunately my free time is very limited. Sorry.
Of course I will post it here when I have something that isn't totally broken... ;)
(I hope it won't take too long though)
hudl
Forum Admin

Postby totally_awesome » 17. Jan 2014, 23:05

Hello,

I will be checking this forum on a weekly basis to see if the next release or beta testing is available. Have a nice day!
totally_awesome

Postby totally_awesome » 17. May 2014, 01:19

Hello,

Any update on when the next release will be out that will allow the converted file to be moved to another folder that is on a different drive?
totally_awesome

Postby hudl » 20. May 2014, 22:56

Hi!

I'm really sorry for being so late. There is so much going on in private life, that I hadn't any time. :(
I plan to have a release ready till (end of?) July - at least I will force myself to do so! :)
hudl
Forum Admin

Thanks for getting back to me

Postby totally_awesome » 8. Jun 2014, 19:22

Hello,

Thanks for getting back to me about the next release, now I know what is going on. There is no reason to apologize about the date of the next release. As far as I am concerned you made the correct choice, you personal life, so enjoy it! life is short.
totally_awesome

Next

Return to "MC-TVConverter (english discussion)"